Dimethylamine – (CH₃)₂NH
EC No: 204-697-4
CAS No: 124-40-3
EC name: dimethylamine
IUPAC name: N-methylmethanamine
Trade name: Dimethylamine
Synonyms: Methylmethanamine, N,N-Dimethylamine
Physical appearance: aqueous solution
Dimethylamine aqueous solution is a clear, colourless solution with a water content of 60 %.
The product is extremely flammable and any kind of exposure is immediately noticeable by an ammonia-like odour (fishy).
Direct contacts with this product and vapour have to be avoided in any case.
Raw material for chemical synthesis
Only for industrial purposes
The substance is used as a gas absorbent and for producing various chemicals.
A synthetic intermediate
- Products basing on Dimethylamine:
– Rubber Accelerators
– Tetramethylthioperoxydicarbonic diamide
– The Propellant – 1.1-Dimethylhydrozine
– Various Pharmaceuticals
– Monomers such as Dimethylamizoethyl Methacrylate
– Solvents (N, N-Dimethylformamide, N, N-Dimethylacetamide)
- The Insecticide Dimefox
- Ion-Exchange Resins
- Stabilization of natural rubber latexes
- Leather tanning
- Drilling oil well
- Production of acetone formaldehyde and SBR; catalyst for paraffin and olefin nitro compounds